I finally found the time to sit and blog. I need to find the time to sit and journal. My last two days of my first week of school were spent getting to know my fellow classmates. I mean "getting to know". We should have introduced ourselves on the first day of class in the following manner:
"Hello, my name is (for the example I'll use my name). I am 26 years old, been married for a little over six years to my hubby Jeremy, who is active duty AF. I have two dogs. This is my second degree and I will be your guinea pig for the next two years!"
I spent a glorious Thrusday afternoon having my vitals checked. Which meant my arms were crushed by multiple blood pressure cuffs, my temperature was taken in more ways than one, my pulse was palpated all over my body, and I was stared at until an acurate respiratory rate could be counted. No worries, I did the same to two manakins and several of my classmates. However, it was during this learning session that it was brought to the attention of the class and my instructors that I am a freak of nature. Vanilla Bear and Chocolate Bear (no crap, they call eachother by these nicknames, if you have seen Scrubs you'll totally get it.) pointed out to the class that I have no pulse and no blood pressure. As it turns out my blood pressure and pulse are so low, that it took a while for the instructor to find them. I know my pulse and b/p are naturally low but they have dipped quiet a bit since I have been training again. I was apparently a great lesson for the class on remembering to ask investigative questions about how a person is feeling and what their normal habits are like. Once Prof Purple Scrubs found out I was a runner, she stopped asking me if I needed something to eat.
The day in general was not too intimadating for me. I am not afraid to get in there and get "friendly" with my classmates...as my ARP friends well know. I am there to learn and being shy or hesitant is not going to help me learn. However, I do understand that some people have personal space issues. My friend "Indy" (that is what I am going to call her since her she is actually an archeologist), doesn't like being touched. Well, turn about is fair play in nursing school. So to be a supportive friend, I stuck with her for the two days of touching. She was nervous about getting vital signs and knowing what to look for. Since I already had a good idea of what to look for I helped her out. I am sure at some point in time there will be plenty of things I am going to need help with!
Friday was "wash your buddy day". Making beds and bed baths, putting on TED hose, back rubs, and teeth brushing. Nonthing says "I love you man" like sticking a toothbrush in your buddy's mouth, trying not to poke them, while laughing histerically at the comments the two dudes next to you are making behind the curtain. Also the funniest thing in the world is to watch a 6'5", 250+ lbs, ex-cop (Vanilla Bear), get bed bathed and get TED hose slapped on him by another dude just as huge (Chocolate Bear). Also whoever invented the bedpan, did not invent it to be comfortable nor easily removed. Needless to say I will become a pro at these skills in the next few weeks.
My first week of nursing school was great. I am kind of afraid that I am not as stressed as I thought I would be nor is the workload more than I expected. This kind of freaks me out. Am I forgetting something? Am I not doing enough? Are the tests going to be killer then? There is one thing that bothers me though. I know Sam keeps telling me organization is not totally possible. I know that, but here is one of my biggest pet peeves. My dad was very strict about teaching my siblings and I to be good leaders. He taught us to be leaders not followers and what it means to be a good leader. Rule number one for being a good leader: LEAD BY EXAMPLE. You cannot ask your followers to do something you, yourself cannot do, will not do, or haven't done. Our profs are asking us to get a massive amount of work done in a specific amount of time, and to be organized about it. The part of me that is my father's daughter and a good leader expects the same from my teachers. Thus far they have not performed to my standards. Their lack of organization has caused massive confusion and frustration amongst my classmates and myself. How can you expect us to live up to standards that you clearly are not capable of meeting?
Just a thought. This is also a good reason why I couldn't be in the military. I have issues with authority and will call my leaders out if I think they are full of shit or I will just take over. In the military you could get in serious trouble for insubordination, hence why I was always in trouble as a kid. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment