Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 1...My Scrubs Are Stiff

Where do I start? I guess at the beginning of my day. I woke up before dawn's butt crack peaked above the horizon. I was hoping for a cloudy day. What did I expect in Vegas in late August? I did all my morning stuff...shower, lotion, breakfast, feed doggies, pack car, and speed off. Oh wait! From this list you would probably think I went to class naked! No, no...I put on the most uncomfortable pair of scrubs ever. They are the most boring shade of tan. I believe the offical color is "putty". And they are made with some sort of Teflon fiber stuff so they are stain resistant. I have to admit it was exciting and a little nerve racking putting on my school uniform this morning, but I was ready.

I got to the lab campus right on time. The facility is brand new and we are sharing it with UNLV Nursing, the Medical School and the Dental School. The building had that "brand new" smell to it. It was also weird that I noticed throughout the day it had that "back to school" smell. I don't know about the rest of you but, throughout all of my schooling that first day of school had a certain smell to it. I don't know whether it was a combination of floor wax and carpet cleaner or new school supplies and the nervous sweat of children, but it is a very distinct smell.

We took a tour of the facility...its nice. The air conditioner did not seem to be working at its prime so, in my apparently non-breathable scrubs I was sweating to death. My first class was rather boring. The whole "Welcome to Nursing School..MAWHAHAHAHAHAH you fools!!!" And then we learned to wash our hands (they use orange crap and a blacklight to make sure we did it right) and put on PPE (personal protective equiptment). I really just wanted to curl up and take a nap. It took three hours to learn something that should have taken all of 45 minutes, but what the hell do I know? Anyways, I met some of the more intellegent people in my class so I was pleasantly surprised.

I have a four hour break in-between lab classes, during which I foolishly think I can still work in the Nursing department and study and make it to my last class on time. HA! I did get some studying done, but I was three minutes late to my health assessment lab and got the evil eye from the instructors the whole time. We were issued a hospital gown, which we will be parading in all semester when learning to assess patients.

As you can see it was not a very exciting day. It was more confusing. I am one of those people, that if I am told I need to be super organized about something I expect my leaders (in this case my professors) to be ultra orgainized. There is so much random repetitive CRAP that we have to do that I am not sure which access code goes with which class or what assignments go where. And neither do the professors!!! I find disorganization to be one of my biggest pet peeves (SHUT UP JEREMY AND DAD). Even at my messiest I still know where things are and what is going on.

Anyways, I spent the rest of the day doing workouts and groceries. I finally was able to figure out what online assessments I had to do (no thanks to financial aid which kicked me out of all my classes and now I can't access them on WebCampus until tomorrow...I have a few dirty words for them). Apparently I don't know SQUAT about infection control, but I can assess a patient like a freaking PRO. I laughed histerically THANK YOU ARP!!! (For those of you who don't know thats Arapahoe Rescue Patrol). Can't wait to see what lecture brings tomorrow! MAWHAHAhAHAHAHA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment