Day 68: Mondays are very weird days. I work in the nursing office until 1pm, then have maternity lecture, then go back to work. Monday was our first maternity lecture. We watched a live birth. It wasn't all that gross (although there were some people in class that thought it was gross, trust me people, it can look A LOT worse). Then we discussed the stages of fetal development. Still kind of a sore spot with me I realized. It might always be a sore spot for me...
Day 69: Lab. Ah yes Prof Mom staring me down as I gave a brief lecture about the use of pain scales when assessing infants and children. Once again a lab that could have taken all of an hour to do, lasted three. Who needs to practice weighing a diaper or mixing formula? I can understand vital signs...by the way baby blood pressure cuffs are so small it's really sad. We have one so small its only really good enough to take the blood pressure on my finger!! I am sure this is the size of cuff Andre uses in the NICU. I couldn't wait to get home and take a nap. I like naps.
Day 70: My classmates and I might form a rebellion. Prof Plant has this strange idea that we want to participate in lecture and teach eachother patho/pharm. What the f*** is she thinking?!?!?!? Its 8am, my coffee hasn't kicked in, I am NOT a morning person, and she wants me to talk to the rest of the class about brain injuries! I do not get paid to lecture! It is a constant struggle for me to get my fanny out of bed to sit through rush hour traffic (my road rage has significantly increased since moving here, people in this city are bloody clueless wonders when it comes to merging onto a highway), and then sit through two and a half hours of death by power point on a topic I could have learned more about by reading, in a class I have taken three times already!!! Just lecture woman! I don't want to put silly puzzles together and read what your power points say to the rest of the class in an attempt to get us to "learn" something. Also the school needs to get its crap together. Once again gigantic fiasco with stupid ATI testing...you would think since we have to pay over a hundred dollars a semester for that crap they would at least have it all together.
I wish I could say pediatrics lecture went better. While Dr.Turin' does know her stuff, her assignments are fluff and filler. Everyone knows how much I hate fluff and filler. In every class someone is going to get up in front of the class and discuss a research article about the day's topic. Yesterday's was interesting. I felt bad for her because she was being knocked down on her pointage because the article wasn't from a nursing journal. There are only so many nursing journals and there is a limited amount of research, I don't understand why we just can't use a scientific article or a plain old medical journal...stupid "evidence based practice" still have no idea what the hell that is. Anyway, good job to yesterdays presenter!
On a different topic: Two questions:
1. To my nursing peeps, I want to start subscribing to nursing journals/magazines any suggestions?
2. Does anyone have a freaking clue as to why all I want to do is sleep?
No comments:
Post a Comment