No matter how cute they make the unit look we all know there are sick little ones on the floor. My new clinical instructor is a weird woman. She's got a huge puff of hair and the way she talks reminds me of a character Mike Myers use to play on SNL. He use to do this character, Linda Richmond, who was this Jewish New Yorker who spoke yiddish ("I'm getting faclamped (sp). Tawk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a tawpic: Ralph Fiennes name is spelled neither Raph nor Fines, discuss!") So I think I am going to call her Linda Richmond.
Anyways, in the jungle themed peds unit we did a little scavenger hunt to find all the things we would need to use or know where they are for the semester. The unit is broken down into a regular in-patient unit and a PICU (pediatric intensive care unit). We will all take a rotation in the PICU. I volunteered to go first...I have no idea why. Everything about the unit made me want to cry. Poor sick babies with tubes everywhere! Tiny little O2 masks that are shaped like animals. At least the poor child gets to pick their color of band-aid. Everything in there is so little, it broke my heart. The nurses did not exactly give a us a warm welcome. I am assuming that is because our clinical instructor has never worked there so no one knew her. Even after two hours in the unit I felt drained. At least with adults I can give them a shot and know they can handle it, everything in peds seems so breakable...it really is going to be a long semester.
No comments:
Post a Comment