Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Days 31 thru 33ish: Elementary School

This week was suppose to be round two of exams...in a way it still is, but in others its not. Yesterday I realized (no offense to the cool people) that I am in a class full of some very whiny people. They whined enough yesterday to convince Prof Makey to move our test from today, to next Tuesday! While some of you maybe wondering why that would upset me, the thing is, I was mentally prepared to take three exams this week. I may not have studied completely, but I felt ready. This is college after all...Professors shouldn't give a shit when the rest of your tests are, they give the test when they planned and thats the end of the story. I don't seem to recall any of the professors from my first years in college and my first degree telling us they would move the test because they don't want us to be overwhelmed. Welcome to the adult world people!!!! Its overwhelming at times and you need to learn to deal with it. Whining will get you nowhere and typically your boss could care less if you are overwhelmed. There is a reason why they are termed MIDTERMS...they are suppose to be taken in the MIDDLE of the term. The other frustrating thing is not only do we have an exam next Tuesday, but we have one in the same class a week later. How freaking retarded is that?! Or am I the only one who notices these things? The maturity level of my class is significantly lower than I expected and its very annoying and frustrating.

Day 31: Well I wish I could say it was a wasted Monday...in a way it was. I didn't get anything checked off on my parenteral medication list (injectables), eventhough everything is pretty much checked off by other students in the class. Injectables is far less regulated than I thought it would be. Going through oral medications was like trying to get a signed letter from the Pope...parenteral...well it seems they will let anyone poke you with a needle. I think I have the hang of it for the most part. The IM (intramuscular) injection pad is the same weight and consistancy as one of my butt cheeks...that was sort of depressing. I was able to do an intradermal injection correctly (like a TB test). Rest is, well, I guess good? I can draw up the medications, reconsistute them, and mix insulin. Hurray! The hard part is what syringe, what gauge, what length needle, and where to stick it (so to speak HA!). Suppose I ought to study that.

Health assessment lab went a little better than usual, although it was weird knowing that my Prof honestly did not want to be there. I know because she has said so on several occasions to different students. My health assessment partner and I, (I'll call her Snoopy, in honor of the freaking cute tat she has on her back), tried to spend our time effectively by really examining each others abdominal area (kind of hard she both of us were laughing so much) and by going over our "shift assessment" which we will be the first group to go on Monday. We were there until 5pm eventhough both of us insisted that we did not want to be there any longer than we had too. Overall I think we will do well on Monday

Day 32: Lecture wooohooo!!! I completely ignored Prof Plant for the majority of class because I was studying for my health assessment lecture test, which was my next class. I truly have no idea what the first two parts of the lecture were about, but I do know the last part was about sleep, because I am not getting any (so to speak HA!). Sorry honey, I love you! Anyways, the test was...I really don't know. I had no idea how I would do when I went in there and I had no idea how I did when I came out. I hate that. I find that is what it is like in Nursing school. You really just don't know. Turns out I got an 82%. Not bad, but I could have done better if I had actually took the time to study properly. Noted, will not use someone elses study guide notes again.

The last class of the day was Prof Makey's class. After everyone whined about being mentally challenged, I failed to pay attention to lecture and simply wrote notes on the study guide for next week. You can't follow or understand Prof Makey worth a crap, so you might as well study the print outs of class objectives because that is what she tests on. I was so brain numb after class that I went and ran four miles (on the treadmill, so didn't feel like I got an effective workout), and weight lifted. And once again my night was full of studying for Fundamentals!!!

Day 33: Fundamentals test!!! I felt better prepared for this test. I did all MyNursingLab tests and I even went over the questions at the back of the chapter like she told us to. And guess what? The majority of her questions were pulled directly from the book questions or from MyNursingLab. So I think I did fairly well on this test...if I didn't I am going to be a bit confused and pissed.

This afternoon is Prof Makey again, followed by a little trip to the hospital to pick up info on my patient for tomorrow. First twelve hour shift tomorrow!! Friday I was going to flop my ass on the couch all day and not touch a textbook, but thanks to my classmates...I'll be studying and I might have to give up my Saturday again. Boo. Sigh...I need a freaking vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment