Friday, October 9, 2009
Day 34: First 12 Hour Shift
I have been hesitating to write about my first 12 hour day. It was not a good day. My patient was sent to the hospital for a UTI, but throughout the day I found out the nursing home she was at sent her to the hospital because she was so mean to them they didn't want to deal with her anymore!! She was a little rough with the nurse, me , and the CNA. I just don't know where to start about the day. I fed my patient breakfast and then she kicked me and Indy out of her room. We gave her a bed bath and changed her linen. She was nicer to me then. They had the poor woman, who by the way, could not get out of the bed...RESTRAINED, and tightly. When I went to lunch apparently the CNA tried to force feed her lunch and she spit it out in the CNA's face...apparently that was enough to have her seriously restrained. She complained to me that she couldn't feel her hands...so when the nurse wasn't looking I loosened her restraint so she could get some blood flow back to her hands. She refused her medications...good and bad thing. They were giving her the wrong meds, but she needed her dementia medication because she was clearly in need of it. I just could not believe how rude the nurse and the doctor were to her. It made me sad and angry. I have decided I cannot work in geriatrics, I get to involved. I am still too confused and angry to write anymore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment