As some of you will see, I have gotten a bit pissy with a few of my friends on Facebook. Not mature of me and very much a knee jerk reaction brought on by lack of sleep, hunger, and the fact that it is the end of September and still over a hundred degrees outside and my damn school scrubs don't breath. But I would like to clarify, if I may. My first BS is in Healthcare Administration...that does not mean "doctor's office paperwork bitch" it means ADMINISTRATOR, like board of directors. I had to thoroughly study the ins and outs of ALL forms of healthcare...socialized healthcare included. After much contemplation, study, and debate, I do not believe government run healthcare is in the best interest of the American people...and by American people, I mean those of us legal citizens that actually contribute to society and pay taxes. It is NOT benefical for the economy, medical progression, nor for the people. The bill that is being proposed is crap. And YES I have read it and understand what it means...thank you very much. Yes healthcare needs to be reformed and regulations need to be put in place, but not at the tax payer expense nor the expense of capitalism. There is no easy answer.
I take great offense to people who accuse me of sitting on a high horse and looking down at the "have nots" as my dear friend Chris calls them. What you all don't know is, my family hovered around the poverty line for a good portion of my life. While my dad was able to obtain a few nice things for us, it was because he saved. As a kid I lived off of hamburger helper and whatever veggies we grew in the garden. We didn't have health insurance for MANY years. My father payed for two broken arms, various childhood illnesses, and an ER visit for a kidney infection, OUT OF HIS OWN POCKET. He did not bitch. My mother paid for both the births of my half sisters and did not bitch. So do not tell me I look down on the "have nots," family members I love dearly are what you would consider "have nots." Do I think its fair that they work so hard and don't get coverage, of course! If you think government healthcare insurance is so great, why don't you go talk to a Vet? They'll tell you all about the wonders of government health insurance. I have government health insurance!!! So don't bloody argue with me about it because you will lose.
I am off my soapbox now. :-)
Day 24: Clinicals are going by sooooo slllllooooowwwwwllllllyyyyy. I had the same patient from last week who freaked out about everything, except this time she appeared to be feeling better. She was going to be discharged around the time I was suppose to be done for the day, so there wasn't much to do with her. She wouldn't let me get two sets of vitals on her and she was really rude about it. I tried to help Indy with her patient, but she had a sitter and really didn't need anything...apparently a lot of people try to commit suicide in this city, sometimes I have to look out the window and make sure I don't live in Seattle.
So Indy and I sat and did our paperwork. The charge nurse got pissy about that because she doesn't like it when we sit and look like we aren't doing anything (what are we suppose to do?) and we clump together. Come to find out she was pissy because some students who came in the week before did nothing and didn't even chart vitals...well those students were from the community college...not our college, so we have to make up for their mistakes. Its was a useless day.
Day 25: Since my patient from Thursday had been discharged I was given a new patient. He was an old EMT from the East Coast. You would think that he would be cool, but there is something about people from the East Coast that make them come off as pushy, demanding, and in your face. I can't stand that. He was nice enough. He talked a lot. He refused to take his diabetic meds, but I did get to see some of the late signs of congestive heart failure on him. I love heart patients...I love cardiology. You could say I heart the heart (ha! so cheezy I know!). Indy's patient was in the same room and in the same boat except worse off. He was suppose to go for surgery, but his kidneys weren't working right, so the doc said no. We got to follow the nurse around, really cool chick that actually graduated from our school!! She showed us how to administer some meds and pretty much just let us do our thing with our patients...change linen...bed bath. I really hope I get to follow her around again!
Day 26: Ahhh...Wasted Mondays...although I did actually have something to do this morning!! We are learning to pass off on oral medications. We have six patients we have to present to an instructor, then a final pass off, then I can give oral medication. The pain in the ass is, each fake patient has a million drugs and weird lab values, so we have to go back and forth...is this contraindicated...no,no...wait lab value...fuck do I call the doctor?.....Its a serious pain, but once you get it down it goes quickly. The problem is due to lack of regard to the Seven P's there are not enough people in lab to pass us off during class time! So I have to come in on my time off (saturdays...the bloody piss ants) so I can check off on time. So no golfing for me this weekend and no hiking. I know what you are thinking...there are sundays! Nope, I have my second Well Older Adult interview this weekend.
Health assessment lab starts here pretty soon...pretty sure it will be another wasted afternoon, plus my partner will probably keep me in lab until 5pm because she is VERY thorough...I haven't decided whether that is a good thing or a bad thing yet.
Heads up!!! Examinations Round Two is next week!!
No comments:
Post a Comment