So Monday was a useless day. I have lab classes all day with a four hour break in between during which I studied until my eyeballs fell out, which is what I did all FREAKING weekend. No shit, all day Saturday and all day Sunday.
To continue with my lab classes...the staff here have a strict philosophy about this being a "self directed" program, but you cannot expect us to watch an online video an automatically KNOW how to a perform a skill. There are those of us who need to SEE it performed and then be directed through our first demonstration of the skill. Is this how they are going to "teach" us to do IVs? So basically I know very little about range of motion excercises, patient transfers, and moving a patient in bed. Although I think I can teach a patient to walk with crutches, a cane, and a walker...so look out nursing homes here I come!
My health assessment class is even MORE useless that Fundamentals. We were suppose to be learning to assess the skin and thorax, but I learned nothing...I only know what the book taught me, and what very little i gleaned from assessing my partner and the people around me in lab. Monday's are useless. Fortunately Vanilla Bear came up with a solution. We all meet before lab and go over the skills together, them maybe we might get something out of it. Unfortunately, when he wants to do it, I have to work...so I am going to have to give up an hour and half of work to be able to study, occasionally.
Day 17 was my first test. The day started out just fantastic (eye roll). For some dumb reason the 95 southbound was a parking lot from the north 215 till just past the Spaghetti Bowl, for no bloody reason. So I was stuck in traffic for an hour and was a half hour late to class. I hate Vegas. I had Fundamentals before my test and I tried to study during class. Then listened to lectures in between class. Then it was time for the TEST. Fifty questions of mulitple choice most of which had a firm right answer, but for shits and giggles appearently they like to throw in questions where technically all of the answers are right, just one answer is more right than the rest of them. I HATE GREY AREAS. These are the ones I usually do not so well on. I either read too much into the question or misread it. I have perfectly sound and logical explainations for the choices I do choose, but they are apparently not right enough. Or I missed something in the meaning behind the question.
All in all I ended up getting a 92% on the test, not bad, but not good enough for my standards. So last night I was so tired of studying I said "Screw it!" and went to book club, had a great time and came home and went to sleep. I also managed to go to the gym...still can't find my freaking stapler.
Day 18, today, well its still going. I managed to get out of the house this morning early enough to feed my caffiene addiction and make it to class on time for my test. Once again same type of test as yesterday, only more of the stupid grey area questions...therefore more challenging to the point where I almost stood up and yelled "Fuck it!" started crying, and ran from the room. Afterward, we did a "group test". Right off the bat I believe I missed the first question, that was not a good sign for the rest of the test. The grades haven't been posted yet, but I did just talk to Prof Mom and she said I didn't do too bad. I don't know what that means. Anyway, my last class is having a test next week...boo...but! Pro Makay is going to go over the structure of her test and what she expects...awesome.
I feel so awful (on the verge of tears) after fundamentals test, that I decided I needed retail therapy. So I left the school and went to the nearest mall, texting Jeremy and my step-mom the whole time. It turns out getting a pretty new shirt from GAP makes me feel better, not to mention walking through a halloween store. It made me think about that dumb chick who wrote Julie and Julia. In her blog she ended up asking her readers if they wanted to donate to her cause. I think my cause is more worthwhile: Please Help An Average Nursing Student Heal Her Stress By Supporting Her Shopping Habit and Caffiene Addiction. I am sure PHAANS (Ha! thats the acronym) will get a lot of fans!
No comments:
Post a Comment