Sorry I haven't had a chance to blog. Its been crazy...school work, half marathon, in-law family reunion...sigh...three weeks down (almost) and I need a vacation!
Well lets see....On Friday the 4th I "checked" off on vitals!! So I can now officially take your temperature in more ways than one...wink, wink! And I can take your blood pressure too and whatnot. Then we did something called "call light scenerios". Where we all take turns being the pt and pretend to need something from the nurse...apparently my pt just needed the phone to make some international calls...anyways, I am not feeling very secure in my ability to answer a call light, but we will see what happens. I did learn something interesting though. Did you know that you can be served alcohol in the hospital as a pt?!! I did not know that. You have to have a doctor's order, but you can sit there with your IV and stitches and swing a beer while the person next to you is being recessitated. Also if alcoholics are admitted to the ER or ICU they can be given an IV drip with vodka! Its so they don't go into withdrawl while being treated. The ER nurse that works with us says that some days she feels more like a bar tender than a nurse. For some reason I found all of this extremely hilarious. There is something wrong with me.
After a wonderful, but very short long weekend, it was back to lecture. It was hard for me to focus since I was sooooo exhausted still from the weekend. We are being prepped for our first tests, which are next week. I am oddly calm about the whole thing, which is kind of freaky...usually it means I am missing something and I am going to do bad. But all the same, I am still going to study my pants off...for whatever is coming.
Today, well, more lecture! We had a guest speaker in Fundamentals, who talked about old people. I learned NOTHING, and left depressed from the ridiculous video they showed us. It was a military montage and then it turned into this montage of some strange old man's life set to some horrid song. They were trying to convince us to go into gerntology...um....they sucked at it. I think my Great Grandma should have came and talked to us. If everyone knew how cool some old people can be they would get a lot of people wanting to work in long term care facilities.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, and tomorrow.....if anyone can name where that is from you get 20 points. Anyways, tomorrow is my first day in the hospital!! Keep your fingers crossed that no one throws up on me!
No comments:
Post a Comment