I think my last post was a bit misunderstood. First of all, I was writing from my book so maybe without the back story its a little hard to understand, but I still think my point was missed.
I was speaking about romantic love. Some of my favorite books are about the couple getting together in the end: Pride and Prejudice, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Twilight, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Much Ado About Nothing, Bridget Jones' Diary (which coincidentally happens to be one of my favorite movies), Memoirs of a Geisha, Stardust (I happen to like the movie better than the book). I think you get the point. Of course I agree that there is no greater love than that of Christ's. It has been suggested that St Teresa of Avila was given to throws of ecstasy when spoken to by the Lord. Whether this was mainly the suggestion of Bernini's masterpiece or he was bringing to light something that had already been whispered, I do not remember. But outside the grace of God, there is no such thing as love as it is between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, Harry and Ginny, Bella and Edward, Titania and Oberon, Beatrice and Benedict, Bridget and Mark, Sayuri and the Chairman, Yvainne and Tristan. No, the simple truth is, romantic love, is like the following: Hamlet and Ophelia, Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, Queen Elizabeth I and England, Elaine and Lancelot. Each story has a fair maiden and a handsome knight, but in the end each one ends sadly. Hamlet on his quest for the truth lied to poor Ophelia, which lead her to suicide. While Anne and Henry's relationship was passionate in the beginning, Henry's renowned wondering eye and desire to be the coolest king ever, left Anne without a head. Queen Elizabeth was denied marrying whom she wanted and eventual died childless married to her work. Elaine thought she had romantic love with Lancelot who rescued her from a horrible curse, married her, had a child with her, and ended up cheating on her with the Queen. She died of grief.
No comments:
Post a Comment