As promised here is the newest book review, on not the newest books.
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift: Boring. Swift talks entirely way too much about bodily fluids. I am a nursing student and bodily fluids are a part of my life, why would I want to read about them? While I know the book is suppose to be a political satire on the politics of Swift's day, it was unamusing, although I was able to make comparison's to today's politics. All-in-all I am happy I finish the book because I almost didn't.
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen: One of the first books in a long time that kept me wanting to pick it up and read it. The story is vivid and the characters are real. She should continue to write about the secrete lives of carnies. I read the foreword part of the book and she did an incredible job on her research. She took a very interesting look at a life style that not many of us know about and I found it fascinating. The movie, while I love Reese Witherspoon, was just ok. The book was, hands down, better.
Stardust by Neil Gaiman: Whimsical and fun. It was a quick easy read. I did like the movie better. The love story was easier to follow in the movie. The adventures seemed more real and came to life a lot better in the movie than the way they were written.
The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory: Everyone knows how much I love British history, especially when it has to do with court intrigue. This was a good book. It was definitely a page turner. Entertaining and gave a completely different perspective to the women surrounding Henry VIII.
Rule Number Two by Lieutenant Commander Heidi Kraft: I am not sure whether my dad is trying to convince me to not go into the Army or to go into the Army. This book did nothing but convince me that the military needs someone like me. Unmarried, no kids, and typically unfazed by humanity everything it can dish out. Lt Cmdr Kraft writes about her deployment to the Iraqi desert in 2006 and the patients she saw and took care of during her time there. She talks about the struggles she personally went through while there. One of her patients received the Medal of Honor post mortus. It was truly an amazing book. Her experience brought me to tears and truly inspired the patriot in me.
No comments:
Post a Comment