It is amazing how one person can be so...egotistical. Prof Politically Correct has got an ego the size of a fighter pilots, and she's not even close to being that intelligent or bad ass. Apparently she thinks her power points and lectures are the best, so she hasn't changed either since last semester. I had hoped the real reason they brought back Prof CSI was to teach Prof Politcally Correct to teach Community Health. As it turns out, this may not be the case. I think they are just using her community contacts at the refugee center. Prof Politically Correct's testing style hasn't changed either. I failed the first test by half a point. I read the chapters, I outlined them, I reviewed the slides, I went to class, I did the "study guide" and yet I still failed. I could tell which questions were written by Prof P.C. and which were written by Prof CSI. The ones written by Prof CSI were clear cut and made sense, therefore I got them right. But true to her form Prof P.C. was vague and unclear and basically retarded in her questions. I learned however, I was not the only one who felt this way and I was not the only one who failed. The key thing was: Prof CSI felt the same way we did, and she answered the questions we all got wrong the same way we did. Interesting....the Doctorate of Community Health and Women's Health answered the retarded questions the same way we did and had the same complaints we did. You would think this would alert the school to something or at least change the mind of the Prof with only the Masters who has been teaching for less than a year, but no, no it didn't. That is how big her ego is. Prof CSI tried to convince her to take two answers for several questions and explained the vague nature of the questions were even confusing to her. Still nothing. Prof CSI even tried to convince her to get rid of a rather useless assignment on poverty, but again no go. Does anyone else see a problem here?
Clinical....what can I say about clinical. One of the most boring experiences, with brief flashes of brilliance. One week we taugh an Iraqi family how to use the public library. That was quiet the experience. While the family speaks English, they do not speak it well enough to fully understand or benefit from the use of the public library. On the way to the library, one of the Iraqi girls bent over and picked up a dusty piece of pizza off the ground and for a second I thought she took a bite of it, but all she did was smell it...I was slightly miffed as to why she would do such a thing. The following week I drove around town with Prof CSI helping her find all of her old refugee friends. We managed to locate a good portion of them and spent hours talking to a lot of them. I cannot quiet understand how Prof CSI is so comfortable walking into someone's home who does not speak English and has a minimal understand of hygiene. The next day a large group of us interviewed a man from Congo, who's family has been here for almost three years. He tried to open a discussion with us (it seems I was the only one who perceived his attempt), with a profound question. He was studying for seminary school and one of the questions he had been asked on an assignment was: aside from spiritual and religious leaders name three inspiring leaders and why they are inspiring to you? I was amazed by this question. The group thought we were suppose to help him find someone, but he was asking us who we personally found inspiring. At the end of the interview he explained that to us. Most people threw out nursing leaders, but I did not. I was thinking. Who do I find inspiring? Certainly not anyone in nursing...for now. I wanted to ask: did the person have to be famous? Did they have to be inspiring to a lot of people or just me?
The rest of the interview was amazing. He told us about his experiences in the various refugee camps in Africa, about his tragic life and struggle for his family here in the US. He talked about how he trusted God in every situation and how through the trials the family experience he knew God was teaching him and the members of his family a lesson. We asked him what he thought of American food, he expressed an intense dislike for shell fish and said that sometimes his family just prefered the traditional foods of the camps. We also asked him if he liked being located in America. He smiled and I knew he wanted to say no because of the difficulties he and other refugees experience here, but he said he was grateful to be here.
His interview made me wonder why we make it so difficult for people seeking refuge to live here. Why do we make it so difficult for ourselves. I firmly believe we are the best country in the world and yet...in some ways we are no better than the countries these refugees come from. We cannot take care of our own. And I wonder why.
No comments:
Post a Comment