This semester it has really been pressed that we are the future of nursing. We will bring nursing to higher levels and do great things for the people. We will make changes in healthcare. No pressure or anything. I am all about making a difference and I can definately see that I need to donate more of myself to others. We have been exposed to the poor way mental health patients are treated and the people who are dedicated to making it better with the minimal budgets they are given. We overlook communities that despirately need help, like the domestic violence shelters, that need food and clothing and monetary donations to help the families that are trying to break free of the abuse. Its a lot of pressure to be expected to change the world. But I will come back to this later.
Since med-surg clinical is finished we have started doing simulation labs. Last week we performed in a dog and pony show for a bunch of technicians and weirdos studying us. I do not like being a guinea pig. I also do like being in situations that are sneaky tricky. If something in the lab doesn't work, give us a heads up that we are suppose to handle it like we are suppose to in the hospital. And ps I don't speak spanish. I don't care if you speak it and English. If you are going to talk half and half to me I am going to get an interpreter whether you like it or not.
Lecture has been nothing but a waste of time. If you aren't going to talk about anything that makes sense or that is important to know for the test...don't make me come to class. I just don't know what is going on in research. We nailed our presentation. And I am about to burn my care plan...I still don't understand what she wants in that thing. I am so freaking glad the dang semester is almost over.
The Three Day: So back to giving of yourself. This past weekend I walk the Breast Cancer Three Day, sixty miles in three days. I made it 56...I have pulled some tendons in my left foot and dropped a bone in the arch, and because of the stress I have overstretched the ankle ligaments and the knee ligaments. So because I limped for three days I have an epic blister on my right foot. It always feels great to do charty work and raise awareness for a good cause and support a friend. However, my godfather make a good point. He wouldn't donate to me because nobody donates to prostate cancer. And in a way, I wish the three day walk wasn't just about breast cancer, but about all women's cancers. It would be great to see this kind of enthuiasm for all causes: cancer, other medical illnesses, domestic violence, kids issues, veterans....But you know charity has to start somewhere, if we eliminate was disease maybe that will start a chain reaction for charities everywhere. San Diego was a beautiful city, but the walk was miserable. It rained for two days and the hills sucked. I was not prepared to be wet and freezing cold.
No comments:
Post a Comment