Monday, November 8, 2010

Book Review

Yes ladies and gents I read, even though my nose is technically suppose to be to the grindstone on the nursing stuff. In a way it is. I take the time to read nursing related material and if the news has an interesting article or two I might read those. Some ask how I manage to have time to read anything other than textbooks. Well for one, in comparison to my peers I really watch very little tv. The most important thing is: I make time. Reading a little before a go to bed at night has been a routine of mine since I was a small child. When we were children, my siblings and I, our dad use to make us go to bed a half hour to an hour earlier than everyone else in the neighborhood so we could spend enforced :) quality time with a book. When we were too young to read, Dad read to us, but as we got older, we selected our own books. Dad didn't much care what they were about (within reason) as long as we were reading. Our summers were never spent idling in front of the tv (though we tried), we were given books to read over the summer. I read my first Shakespearean play the summer before my sixth grade year: Macbeth. Taking time to read has become so ingrained into my brain that I just naturally do it. It is habit, one I hope to instill in my children. So here we go with another round of reviews!

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella by Stephenie Meyer: Swing and a miss!! While I highly enjoy Stephenie's creativity, her expressiveness and description leaves something to be desired. While this novella opened a new dimension to the Twilight Saga, she still needs to work on her character and plot development. While granted this was a novella for charity...when you have a great idea and are on a roll....RUN WITH IT!!! four out of ten...getting better but not there yet.

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher: Anyone who knows me, knows I am almost a Star Wars expert (I fall a little short on the newer movies). However this book is not just about Carrie's experience with the movies...its in there, but its more of a satirical view of her diagnosis of bipolar depression. Totally appropriate for this semester seeing how I am in psych nursing. Carrie is hilarious! Her book is a quick read. She makes some wonderful heartful comments which show a deep insight into her disease and the damage it has caused in her life. She has unimaginable insight into life and what it means to love and lose (not to sound too cliche). I would actually like to read more of what she has written. eight out of ten...I think Ms Fisher missed her calling...writing.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith: HILARIOUS. Freaking HILARIOUS. The original Jane Austen is one of my favorite books. I am not sure whether she would be horrified or amused with what has been done to her manuscript, but I certainly enjoyed reading about proper English ladies kicking zombie butt Chinese style and all the while indirectly courting proper English gentlemen kicking zombie butt Japanese style. I also love the naughty Darcy! eight out of ten. BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daughter of Ireland by Juilene Osborne-McKnight: Totally understand why this book was on the discounted rack. (Sorry Becca) I enjoyed reading the history of Ireland and the pronunciations and meanings of the Irish words than I did reading the story. The main character is one of the weakest heroines I have ever read and the story progresses rapidity. It was almost as if the author printed her outline rather than the full tale. The author would speed through the story, then slow down, be cryptic, then speed up again. The book ended rather abruptly...maybe she is intending to write a second novel? three out of ten.

We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of American Nurses Trapped on Bataan by the Japanese by Elizabeth M. Norman: These women are the inspiration I needed during this semester. Their story is truly amazing. I can only pray for the strength and fortitude these women showed on the front lines of the Philippines and in prison camp. I cannot imagine living through the horrors they did and come out the other end still wanting to be nurses. They are an inspiration to women and to Americans. These women are the type of role models young girls need. Through everything, their only thoughts were of their patients, of keeping a smiling face for those around them because that was their job as women, as American soldiers (YES SOLDIERS), and as nurses. Their journey makes me proud to join a profession with such distinguished and self-sacrificing women. I only pray I can live up to the standards these amazing women have established. The author is true to their stories, to the women themselves. It is wonderfully written and incorporates the photographs from the war that help emphasize the story. The author's Epilogue brings an insight and dimension that should be presented to all nursing students. Ten of ten. Thank you Dr Diabetes for your recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment