Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day 167 thru 173: No Heart

I am sorry I have been sparse with my communication. Its not like anyone reads this (well Debbie does!! Thanks Debbie!!) This semester has gone by painfully slow. Med-surg clinical ended and I finally registered for my last semester of nursing school! Thank God!

The last day of med surg clinical was uneventful...even though we were in the ER. Here is a clue for you all to get through to the Dr in the ER quickly...complain of shortness of breath and chest pain and you are automatically high priority. Although...it is dishonest and you are wasting valuable resources, taking care away from patients who really need it and ultimately contributing to the high cost and corruption of the health care system, but you know not everyone sees it that way. And if you are overweight you can expect to be short of breath and sometimes that causes chest pain cause you are wheezing. Oh and ps you drug seekers those ER nurses know who you are and aren't buying your crap...you are flagged in their systems!

I did finally get to go somewhere other than the county mental health facility. I went to an outpatient clinic that is in despirite need of money and help. They really care about their patients and they try inventive and unique therapies to help their patients. I got to sit in on an anger management class, which was personally enlightening, and I sat in on music therapy. Its amazing how much joy a little empty bottle with rice in it can bring to someone with a duel diagnosis. We talked with the nurse manager about donations and volunteers. But for some odd reason she had some issues with that. She said there are so many regulations on volunteers and donations they don't ask for them, but they despirately need them!! I was truly impressed with the staff and the patients of this facility and truly hope they get the help they need.

The next place we went to was Juvy and court! It was their that I realized what a cold hearted bitch I truly am. I did not feel sorry for any of the kids I saw. I saw a lot of DUIs and substance abuse and possession. Freaking ridiculous. I did not even feel sorry for the kids that didn't have parents. I feel that at a certain point no matter how bad your upbringing you know the difference between right and wrong and should be held accountable for your actions. We really didn't get to see much in the jail, they were changing shifts and so everyone was on lock down. But what are you going to do?

My grades have been up and down everywhere! And its shocking that I am doing the best in the class I hate the most. Jeremy told me his theory on my lack of caring this semester. I am burnt out...and my heart is just not in it. He's right. With all the disappointments we had this semester and all the high hopes dashed I completely lost all feeling for this semester and what I am doing. I hope it will change in the coming weeks and my classmates are helping, but we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment