Thursday, June 24, 2010

Clinical Supplemental: Finale!

Well after a summer of repeating first semester, with more old man pee and homeless crazies, I finally got my day in the ER. Lets start with my IV sticks. Remember the first one I ever did I blew right through and almost vomitted everywhere because the lady freaked out. So the second one I got in the ER. First shot perfect!!! It was beautiful. Then the next two I blew...on the same lady...who it turns out didn't need. I just was thrown the materials and told to go stick her. The worst part about it, I did it in front of my instructor. The last stick I had, was on a woman who had really dark skin and her vein was hidden. I got it but I went past it. The nurse showed me how to save my stick. It was a neat little trick. None of my patients were too exciting. I was just happy to be in the ER. I did get to see some interesting things. One of the first patients we had was suspected for TB. It was kind of freaky walking in there...we wore special masks, but I was taught we had to be specially fitted for the masks and its still scary. Then we had this big guy come in, no response to painful stimuli and no gag reflex. He had some sort of seizure. We had to intubate him...stick him with a million IVs and I was the one they wanted to foley cath him. (my nurse basically pimped me out all day) So I set up and did everything the way you are suppose to, but I couldn't get the foley in...I mean even past the entrance. I tried and tried and nothing. So another nurse tried, she couldn't get it. Three nurses later, the doctor, straight cath, peds cath, and a womens cath later...we still couldn't get it. The doctor had to use a special cath to finally get it! Later I found out the guy was HIV positive and had hep C...shutter....I wore sterile gloves when taking care of him and I washed my hands a million times in hot water, but it still freaked me out. The rest of the day was pretty slow, but once again I was still happy to be there. I learned a shit ton.

Today was my last day of summer clinical...not sad about it. I was ready to start the summer and glad I got the little jump start on third semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment