Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summer Book Review #1

How To Be Sexy by Carmen Electra: Let's face it ya'll, I need all the help I can get. Its easy to write a book about being sexy when you are born with the "sexy" gene. No matter how much she denies it in the book...and she denies it A LOT....sexy was bred into Carmen Electra (she's not my type, she has weird teeth and man hands). THE GOODS ABOUT THIS BOOK: I have never been one to wear make-up. In fact, outside of colorguard in high school, I didn't start wearing make-up until after I got married. Her tips on how to do the smokey eye truly help. I have actually been able to do a hot smokey eye that make my green eyes flash. For single women, her advice about confidence and reading body language seem to be straight on, although I tend to believe its more complicated then how she states it. THE BAD ABOUT THIS BOOK: This is not for married women. Tons of advice about how to let a "John" know you are interested and to read if he is not, but nothing about how to make a marriage spark. The looks, the moves, and the "secret" dialects of "sexy" don't apply to those of us who already have the ring around our finger. Also most of her advice cracked me up. Sexy is not in my DNA, nor is long, thick, goregous locks of hair. Sorry Carmen, while you where a teenage fantasy of my hubby's he got stuck with me...and I like boxer shorts, granny panties, and flats. Scale of one to ten: two...for entertainment value and the one piece of valuble information I gleened from her drival.

A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage: Its more like a brief introduction of Western Civilization. The book never goes into depth about the "history of the world" and how the world is directly affected by these six beverages. Some of his conclusions are far stretched and hard to believe. The book does have some interesting factoids and has sparked my interest in trying ancient forms of wine and beer. Absolutely nothing is said about vodka and the book indicates that Americans are caffiene addicted alcoholics. Scale of one to ten: three, informative but far reaching.

The Master Butchers Singing Club by Louise Erdrich: Well written, the settings descriptions, the emotional movements the characters go through are all vividly written. Some of the sections of the book are not for the faint of heart. I did find myself in some spots finding it hard to put down, but in the end there were no conclusive endings to the tales. It turned into one of those books that are suppose reflect life, where there is no conclusive ending, which I hate. When I read, I like a conclusion or at least the knowledge there will be an sequel. On a scale of one to ten: five...while beautifully written, no conclusion, and does not serve the purpose it was written for, emotional connection with those in the book and aspiration to a national treasure.

Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler: I am not a liberal, but this chick is HILARIOUS!!! Her writing is somewhat akin to the stellar skills of Stephanie Meyer (everyone knows how I feel about her), Chelsea cracks you up! This book is not for someone who is prudy, but looking for a great, easy beach read. I was highly entertained by Chelsea's one-liners and crazy ass life. Even Jeremy enjoyed reading this book. I admit, its no Jane Austen, but high marks for entertainment. On a scale of one to ten: seven...not a literary winner, but serves the purpose it was written for...entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment