Monday, June 14, 2010

Clinical Supplemental: Deja Vu

When it comes to writing my blog lately I have been remiss. Some how I manage to write these epic novels for Prof Trauma about my days on the med/surg floor and here nothing. I simply write a lot for her because I am bored as all hell. I pick two patients, I give them their meds, and then do nothing unless one of them needs something and then its just like a blanket or wanting to know when the doctor is coming. I have followed the wound care nurse for a few patients. I have had some patients with some nasty wounds. One was cellulitis of the lower leg...how the heck she got it that freaking bad I will never know...it was so gross. It was like her skin was overflowing with puss in the infected areas and then the surrounding skin just flaked off when you looked at it. Then the other wound I had was a gun shot wound to the flank...5cm deep!! The wound vac needed to be drained on a regular basis. I did not like that patient, he was rude to women and his brothers oggled you like a piece of meat. I also did not realize how many people in this city got hit by cars. The patient rooms are lined up as follows: Gun Shot Wound, Ped vs Car, Auto crash, cellulitis, Gun Shot Wound, Ped vs Car.... its nuts!!!! We also get all the homeless in town. For some reason someone is going around and beating the crap out of the homeless people in this city! Way to kick a person when they are clearly already down. The best story was the homeless crack addict that went into surgery and as they were moving him from one bed to another, a bag of weed fell out of his butt. Classic. We did have an orientation to the OR. The nurse was awesome, however, I have absolutley ZERO desire to go to the OR. I hate surgeons and I hate anesthesiologists. I might be willing to watch a heart surgery. I have a sick fascination with the cardiac system. Maybe this week I will get something interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment