Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Summer School Chronicles: Week 1 1/2

Yes folks, if you didn't already know by now: I am in summer school. I am not enjoying it. Prof Politically Correct is teaching, and no offense to any of you who have friends in the accelerated program, but they are not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed. Among the many downsides of summer school (personal downsides included) there are some up sides. Prof CSI is back, but only for the summer, sadly, for those who will come after. And the clinical of working with refugees holds promise...although nothing to exciting yet.

Thus far the lectures have been the same. Prof Politically Correct has not changed up her slide shows nor her lectures. She likes to stand right in front of me during the whole class period, and I sit in the far back corner. Too bad for all those that sit up front so they can hear clearly. She has tried to engage me in political conversation, I have declined to take her bait and insist on focusing ardently on my textbook. I outline the chapters now to make damn sure this time I pass. I have been asked several different times what I am going to do differently this time around, my reponse: a) I am not going to get a divorce, b) I was basically almost a straight A student through nursing school with the exception of this class so I haven't got a fucking clue what I am going to do differently except have her review my study guide (should she provide one) before the test. I have also been asked what her tests are like, simply put: they suck. She sucks all around. Get used to it.

Working with the refugees thus far has been rather uneventful. On the first day we visited families that Prof CSI knew a year ago...most have moved, but there was a large population of Butanese (from Butan) that live in this one complex. The Butanese love to talk and share their stories. They love you coming in their house and they almost always serve you food or beverage when you visit. I have had Butanese food!! Not bad. They like the spicy stuff and they like curry. They made these fried wheat rice donut things for us, but they weren't sweet. There were two Butanese men in mourning when we visited. In their culture, when you are in morning you go through a 13 day ritual where you have one small meal a day of rice. They wear white cloth with no stitching. Those that are in mourning cannot be touched and they have to make their own food. It was interesting...I almost wished I had stayed with my original major of Anthropology...oh well. They told us stories about the refugee camps in Nepal and about their struggles in the US. Thus far they have been the most interesting. I have met people from Burma, Sudan, and Ethiopia. Like is said...there is promise once we figure out what the heck we are suppose to do. Which we really don't know what we are doing, its a crap shoot every week.

We have started to discuss the community project. I basically told them my brain is on cruise control, just tell me what you want me to do and I will do it, other than that I don't care. Well like I said, these accelerated folks are not all that swift plus they take forever to decide something...not very organized. My group has decided to bite off more than they can chew, so I just took my part and shut up because they were not listening to me. I have been there and done that and almost got an A on it (we forgot profession resources), plus Prof Mom was a hard ass. No matter how much I tell them simplicity is the easiest way to an A, especially since we have such a limited amount of time, they won't listen. I miss my class...

Today was really interesting. I spent A LOT of one on one time with Prof CSI. I had the feeling she was sizing me up all day, and we got into some personal conversations. She really is a nice person and rather intellegent. She understood a lot about what I went through over the past few years and in the past few months...surprisingly, it was comforting to know at least one professor was not judging me. I am sorry the school is going to lose her.

Anyway, I have a book review coming up for everyone! Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment