Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Days 119-135: When in doubt "Tell me more about..."

I am going to start off by saying, in the brief time I have been in class I have decided I HATE psych nursing.  Its not merely the fact that I have no interest in psych whatsoever, it is the professors that make it difficult for me to enjoy the class. The semester started out just fine, but then I found out part of my grade for major projects is based on how I am dressed. Seven percent of our presentation is in the way we dress!!! If we don't dress in the way specified by the professors we loose an entire letter grade. Anyone else think that is ridiculous raise your hand. I am sorry Dr. Fails-us-All and Dr. Sheep, but you are there to teach me psych nursing. Not how to dress for an interview!!! Oh and PS I am 27 years old and have had a TON of interviews I am capable of dressing professionally...thank you very much.

Now everyone knows how much I hate drama...I hate it. But it seems to follow Dr. Fails-us-All and Dr Sheep. They seem like sweet, innocent old ladies, but they harbor the mentality of the Wicked Witches...East and West. The horror started during orientation to the psych facilities we would be working at. While it was not directly related to me, it was related to an other student, whom I happen to like. She was singled out for her past history and told she would not be able work with a variety of patients and there were serious issues with her dress. Needless to say both professors made a judgement call about her without even knowing her for more than two hours....and in a group setting. As psych nurses, they should have acted more professional and not made assumptions about someone based on minute observations. They have succeeded in turning a class of students against them in one act. We are like an amoeba attack one of our appendages and we will attack you back. The horror for me and several others a week later.

We were to go through an experiment called "Hearing Voices". It is suppose to simulate auditory hallucinations that are experienced by schizophrenics. It started off like creepy horror movie whispers and manic laughing...it freaked me out. Then this loud voice started yelling in my ear. The loud voice was no problem, just tuned that one out, although it was shocking. It was the whispery voices that bothered me the most. We had to listen to these voices for 45mins while doing different tasks. By the end of the 45 mins I was done...mentally done. I started to have a panic attack. The way I deal with panic attacks is to exercise or lay down...since I was in my scrubs at lab, exercise was out. So during break, in the classroom, with other students, I laid down on the floor to calm myself down. While Dr Sheep had no problem with this, Dr Fails-us-All decided that I was acting unprofessional and demanded I get up. I got up slowly from laying down so I didn't antagonize the problem and she yelled at me again...thank you to my fellow students that were defending me. So Dr Fails-us-All drags me out into the hallway in front of other students from my class and in front of the Med Students I have to work with at my hospital. She proceeds to lecture me about being unprofessional and how I am representing the school and what not...IN FRONT OF OTHERS. She didn't give me a chance to explain. So I sat in class the whole rest of the time shaking from anger and anxiety. Every week we are given a grade sheet on our performance. When she handed me mine at the end of class, she had written and I quote "was lying on the ground, and refused to get up. was slow to get up and proceeded to do yoga stretches, made faces at classmates and smirking, looking in pockets" And she took points off of my participation!!! I shared her observations with another student and got yelled at for that too. Its my grade I can share it with whomever I choose! So I stayed after class (at her request) to discuss the comments that she made. It was then that I explained why I was on the floor. She asked me if I was on medication and how it has effected my clinical experience (I am, not like its any of her business, and no it has not effect anything else, again none of her business). Then she asked me what I could do to pay attention next time in class. Um.....I am in college....not second grade last time I checked. I told her I was not making faces and I was paying attention in class. Just because you look at something out of the corner of your eye or move the pencil that is poking your hip, doesn't mean you are not paying attention.

Well several other people in class had the same experience and so I decided to resolve the issue by going to the asst. Dean. I told her my concerns (along with Scion...she had an even worse experience). Now tomorrow we have separate appointments with the asst Dean and Dr Fails us All (divide and conquer right?). So I am going to take this time to share with everyone what I am going to discuss:
1. The unprofessional manner in which Dr Fails us All conducts "private" conversations. I happened to meet up with the med students that overheard our conversation, because they were in charge of my patient.
2. Kindly remind Dr Fails us All, I am not in the second grade, therefore because I am not looking directly at her when she is lecturing does not mean I am not listening, and I have had a professional career before so I do not need to be taught how to dress.
3. Do not EVER.....I repeat EVER insinuate I am a cheater! (Thats right ladies and gentlemen...that horrid woman had the audacity to insinuate that I am a cheater!!!!!!) Big line has been crossed. And that b**** is going to get an earful. In this city your reputation as a nurse can be ruined before you even graduate...long story but the student was justified in their actions that other b**** at my hospital (the education lady) overreacted and the student has a strong defamation of character case...I have lawyer.

Ok...so enough with psych. Research is taught by the peds teacher I had last semester...and is so boring. I am so going to fail the test. We had a review, and wow...for such a ridiculous topic its pretty hard, but I did get #4 in the top ten reasons why nurses should read research (So I can win at Trivial Pursuit)...its suppose to be a joke. Med Surg...what to say...I am excited about the class because its more advanced care, but the professor...I swear is perma-stoned. She talks really slow and quiet, and she forgets everything. I always have this feeling she is going to leave in the middle of class because she has the munchies. For clinical I still have Prof Trauma, but for psych clinical I have Dr. Sheep. Its going to be a long semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment