I am going to get on a soap box in this blog. Anyone who knows me and knows me well (which is very few people), knows that I have several soap boxes. Soap box number one being Leadership...this is like soap box 131 or something, but I am going to call it soap box two (a cute idea I picked up from NCIS...Gibbs has numbered rules, I have numbered soap boxes.) So without further delay Soapbox #2: Stand Up For What You Believe In!
So the meeting with the asst Dean I will call her Dr Diabetes (I know I had a different name for her when she was my peds prof but I cannot remember what it was so we will go with this one), did not go well. I was prepared. I had a steno pad with notes of my concerns, I wore a cardigan sweater! I expressed my concerns in a professional manner and Dr Fails Us All lied through her teeth the entire time!!!!!! Dr Diabetes ate it up. Apparently she did some "investigation" concerning psych lab and realized "it truly is an extension of clinical" HA!! What a load of crap!!! But what was I going to do? What was I going to say that I hadn't already said? I could only hope that the next two students with complaints would bring down the brick wall I had encountered. No such luck. Apparently it is school policy to follow the proper chain of command...and the underlying policy is to undermine student concerns, play political double talk and pray the students are stupid and defeated enough not to take it any farther. Well not me! They picked the wrong student! Unfortunately no one else has my fighting spirit.
And now again, another problem. We have four weeks left in Med Surg clinical and we have yet to venture further than a Med Surg floor. We were promised experiences in ICU and ER...part of the advanced med surg experience, but the Education b**** at our hospital has ignored our pleas and those of our instructor, while other less qualified groups have won accalades for their assisstance of advance care groups. Now I have discussed with one of my classmates about bringing this a matter to the attention of the b**** in person, but they would like to just bring it to her attention...nothing more. Here comes the soap box: RISE UP!! Stand up for what you believe in!!!!!!!!! We are paying damn good money and working our ASSES off to become damn fine nurses. I WILL NOT let the prejudice of some b**** get in the way of my learning. I let the whole Dr Fails Us All roll...this I will not. How long will we let these people walk all over us? How long will we stand for mistreatment? Think about this ladies...how long would it have taken for change to come to the nursing profession if Florence Nightengale had said nothing? Had not taken charge of a situation? What about Susan B Anthony and the ladies of the sufferage movement? You may not think that our situation is as dire or as important, that it is better to keep your head down let it roll off and just graduate. But what you do is not for just yourself, but for everyone in your class and for the classes behind you. I don't know about you all but my education is important to me and I worked f-ing hard to get here. So this is no small matter to me. I have always been one to stand up against injustice (and yes this is unjust) no matter how small...it starts small....with just one. So whether I get blacklisted or not I am going to stand up for my education and what I know is right and talk to the b**** if I am still on that godforsaken floor. Stand up for yourselves and quit letting these people mop the floor with us. Nursing school should not be this demoralizing.
Ok soap box sort of over... but I will save it for another day.
I truly hate psych nursing. We don't do anything! In lab all we do is role play. I have to sit in class with a blank stare on my face so Dr Fails Us All thinks I am paying attention. In all honesty I am practicing my zen meditation. No seriously, watch me in class I am counting my breathing and I am sitting zen posture. Clinical is not much different: preconference, paperwork, Mini mental on a crazy, post conference. Working with the mentally insane is kind of creepy. Like working in a horror movie, you never know when one is going to speak in tongues or turn a sickly grey puke and then attack you.
Lectures are not much more exciting. Nor is med surg clinical. Ever since I found out about the B52 I have been looking for excuses to give them to patients. Mine from last week could have used one.
No comments:
Post a Comment