Monday, April 12, 2010

102-106: Pediatrics- A Reflection

No the semester is not over...unfortunately. We have four more weeks. Plus the driven genius that I am, I signed up for a summer class to keep me busy until Jeremy comes home and because I feel I need more experience. So the semester won't really end for me, but my work load will be lower.

Day 102: I am finished with my pediatrics rotation. I have to say the last day of peds was certainly busy for the first half of the day. I took on all three of my nurse's patients. I passed medications for all of them. One of them was a 13 yr old boy with sickle cell. While I understand the boy was in pain, it was clear he was addicted to the medications. Not only that he was demanding and rude. He knew exactly when it was time for his pain meds and tried everything he could to get pain meds from the female nurses. I guess it sounds horrible for me to say, but part of me did not feel sorry for the poor boy. The actual patient I was assigned to was a 15 yr old that had cellulitis of the left orbit. He was horribly sick, but he had a good attitude and was easy to care for. Mom was able to administer his eye cream and very helpful. My clinical instructor went in and had a conversation with my patient and mom without my knowledge. She told me some of the things they talked about, like the young man's sexual activity. While I am sure that sort of thing is important to know in certain situations, I did not see how it was relevent to the treatment he was receiving at the time. I also was not comfortable with her going in there without me.  I know it is her job to follow-up on the care I am giving, it would be nice to know, plus I did not like the fact she was asking such invasive questions. The last patient I had was a baby who was in for some sort of infection. Mom would have him sleep in the bed with her. We had to repeatedly tell her, if she wants to sleep hospital policy states for the safety of the baby he must be placed in the crib with the rails up. She did not listen, she also tried to push Mary Kay products on all of us. It was slightly uncomfortable. What do you do if a patient offers you a free facial for the care you provided? Such an ethical conundrum. So in the end I spent all morning pushing meds. Totally exciting.

I am not going to miss pediatrics. I love children, I want to have them, I have enjoyed working with them when I was a nanny and when I worked in childcare. However, I cannot work with sick ones and their crazy parents.

So now I have started my maternity rotation.

Day 106: Newborn Nursery! Babies are so cute and squishy and warm and I want one!!!!! However, I do not want to work in the newborn nursery. Its like working in a cute factory assembly line. Get the baby, assess the baby, warm the baby, give meds to the baby, bathe the baby, and off to momma REPEAT. When I am old and wrinkly...maybe I would want something like that, but not today. Nothing is more nerve wracking than being incharge of the care of a tiny little life that does not belong to you while the family watches you poke and prod their half hour old brother/son/grandson (yes...all the newborns we got that day were boys). No joke, the family stared me down as I assessed their new baby and then gave him shots. I just wanted to yell at them to go away, I am nervous enough!!! It was disturbing to watch the experienced nurses toss the babies around like little footballs. It made me jump, and slightly freak out. Its like nothing to them. I got to rock and feed a little two day old little girl. Oh she was so cute!! I loved giving the little babies their first baths. They don't like to be bathed...it makes them cold, but you wrap them up tight and wash their heads, and oh holy crap they love it!!!! I just want a baby they are so precious. All wrinkly and bloody when they come up to the nursery....

No I do not want to work...in the nursery.

No comments:

Post a Comment