Monday, June 6, 2022

What is a Calling?

 

What is a Calling?

               I was talking to my BFF (yes I have one, I call her that, she has many friends, I have few, let me tell you about her for a brief moment). Ok let me rewind. I met my BFF at a time in my life that part of me wishes I could forget, or at least parts of it. We met working in the Nursing School office of the college we both went to nursing school. She was in the accelerated course a year ahead of me, the following year I started the regular course and she encouraged and coached me throughout the whole experience. But more than that she encouraged and supported me through one of the most turbulent and transforming periods of my life. <Please refer to previous blog posts to get some details> So the point is I love this woman and have said on many occasions, if I were to go for a lady (I like the men), but if I WERE to go for a lady, it would be her. We have different views on a lot of things, but she gets me. And I get her and I love her boys to pieces because, well, if you saw them, you’d love them to. Ok so, back on track. I was talking to my BFF about nursing. I was working on a project for my graduate certificate (more on that later), and she said something that made me think. She sees nursing as her calling. Now she’s had some of the craziest, heart pounding, kick ass experiences as a nurse…whereas I…well…there was once this meme posted on Facebook, I don’t remember the general gist of it, but it was two morbidly obese humans in the drive through at Macdonalds on their freaking scooters. That is my job. Dealing primarily with people who just plain do not care and are rude and abusive about it. I will say OCCASIONALLY I get a good one that I just love, but mostly it’s like talking to a brick wall. Actually I think the brick wall will bend before most of the patients I see will.

               Her statement got me to thinking. Is nursing my calling? The simple answer is: no. Nursing is not my “calling”. The way I look at a calling is something you are destined to do. A job, a career, a task that you were born for. Honestly after almost forty years on this earth I have no idea what I am “destined” for. The simple statement is: I am a nurse. Whether my co-workers agree with me or not, I am good at my job (perfect, no, knowledgeable, adaptable, hardworking, yes). This isn’t ego talking. I am not one of those people that walk around thinking I am shit hot. I have met those people, I am not those people. Is there room for improvement? Of course! I am nurse because a) it is a steady job, b) it’s something I do well, and c) I see it as my duty to society. I absolutely love that the generation behind mine (I swear to sweet Jesus if you call me a millennial, I will kick you were it counts), that has gone to college and gone on into semi adulthood following their dreams, following where the wind takes them, a hundred thousand dollar master’s degree in gender studies through interpretive dance (WTF are you going to do with that?!). The best example I have is my former sister-in-law. She was BRILLANT in math. An absolute rock star. Someone that could have inspired young girls for generations to pursue mathematics and become leaders in the field. She could have become a leader in the field. But what did she do? Chose to pursue a career that satisfied her needs instead of contributing to society as a whole. I love to write. I love photography. I would love nothing more than to sit at home and write all day or read the great works of literature. I would love to be back in the dark room were I found peace. Where if found some semblance of self. But I chose to do what would contribute the greatest good to society instead of what would be the biggest burden. So nursing is not my calling. It is my duty. Ps...I took that photo and the one that is the background for this blog.



1 comment:

  1. I believe there are two types of people in this world; assets and liabilities. Although you chose a path that isn’t what you would consider a calling, you chose to be an asset to society. You’re a wonderful nurse, for the VA, and for your husband (yours truly), and your kids. A life of service can be rewarding in its own way, knowing that you continue to serve the community, and maybe the global community in the future. I hope we can make some adjustments to our schedule in the near future, to lighten your load and let you pursue your passions. You’re a great photographer and writer as well as a great nurse. Most of all, you’re a wonderful wife and mother to our kids. I know you don’t hear it from most of your vets, because despite being an asset in the past as a servicemen member, they decided to become a liability. They fail to take care of themselves, becoming a burden to their families and their nurses. They become abusive, further draining their society by causing trauma in the people trying to help them. Despite their decision ti become worthless people to their communities, you Soldier on and take care of them. That takes real strength. Someday, maybe soon, you can feel that you have served your community for long enough and pursue your passions. Artists contribute to society as well. Our authors, photographers, painters, and other creatives capture the beauty of the world around us and remind us to appreciate life. If you decide it’s time to hang up you’re stethoscope, you will still be an asset, as an artist, lover of life, and (most of all) a wonderful mother and wife. I love you. Rick

    ReplyDelete