Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Fairy Tale: Part III

The trail the Queen continued on was quiet. She had time to think and prepare for her trial with the Powers That Be. It was growing colder in the forest and the Queen's cloak was barely keeping her warm at night as she would lay before the fire. One particularly cold night the trees began to taunt her again with her old memories. The Queen pulled her cloak tightly around her covering her ears. She hummed the beautiful song from the box and moved closer to the fire.

She stared into the flames and imagined images in them. She was cold, but her eyelids felt heavy. She curled up on the ground as close to the fire as she dared and fell into a dreamless sleep. A deep cold settled into the forest and silenced the trees and the creatures within the woods. The Queen's fire slowly died. She unconsciously wrapped the cloak around her tighter. The night kept getting colder. The Queen slowly started to wake when she felt a sudden warmth engulf her. Something touched her cheek and she relaxed into the warmth of a long sleep.

The Queen woke in the bright morning. She had not slept so well in such a long time. For the first time in years the Queen smiled at the sunrise. She looked up at the canopy of branches above her. She listened to the birds sing. The Queen moved to stretch and realized she was covered by something other than her own cloak. She was covered by a man's cape. It was thick and elegantly made. It was dark blue made of the softest fabric she had ever felt. It was embroidered around the edges in silver in unique patterns. Sitting at her feet was a leather back pack. When she opened it she found food, water, a map, and a compass. The Queen was baffled. There was no sign of human activity around her. No foot prints, disturbed leaves, nothing. She spoke into the woods, but only the birds returned her call. She quietly said thank you to no one or at least what she thought was no one. She packed up her things and the gifts and continued on her way.

As the Queen walked a long her trail she recited and recalled everything she could possibly remember about what she would need to know for her trial. She was so focused on her recall it took her sometime to notice what was moving in the forest along with her. The glint coming from the shadows caught her eye. She peered through the trees to look at what was walking along with her. It seemed no matter which way she moved the glowing thing never truly revealed itself. She could not get a clear look at whatever it was. "Hello." She spoke into the woods. A whisper of a male voice responded in kind. "Why are you following me?" she asked. "You looked lonely I thought you could use the company," the whisper replied. "My path is a solitary one, that is the way it is designed," she replied. "Still I will walk along with you," he responded. "Step out to the trail. I cannot see you clearly," she instructed. "I am sorry, my Lady, I cannot do that," he replied. "Why not? What are you?" she asked. "Those are questions I cannot answer right now. Please allow me to walk along with you at a distance my Lady," he begged. "If you wish," she responded,"It will be a quiet walk. I have a task before me and I must concentrate."
"What is the task Lady?"
"I must see the Powers That Be and earn the opportunity to reconstruct my kingdom and restore it to peace."
"And how will you do that?"
"Through a test. I will be questioned by a series of inquisitors about my knowledge and skills."
"What knowledge? What skills?"
"My knowledge of leadership and my skill to be one. My knowledge of education and my skill to teach. My knowledge of law and my skill to enforce it. My knowledge of what is needed to help my people and my skills to help."
"That is a challenging task. I have faith you will be rewarded your kingdom."
"I am flattered by your confidence in me, but do you not feel you should know a person for than a brief conversation before you make such a conviction?"
"No. I know you Lady."
The Queen laughed. "How is that possible? We have only just met! I cannot even see you!"
"That does not matter. Because we have never spoken, my Lady, does not mean I do not know you. I have known you for sometime."
"How? I do not know you."
"You will."
"You are strange. What is it that you do that allows you to know who I am?"
"What I do has nothing to do with me knowing you Lady."
"What is it that you do, aside from requesting to walk along with complete strangers, refusing to show yourself, claiming you know the stranger?"
The male voice chuckled softly. "I do many things Lady. I am a teacher, I am a philosopher of religion, I am a writer, I am a soldier."
The Queen stopped and looked in his direction. "To complete your renaissance I don't suppose you are a musician and an artist as well?"
The glint of him glittered. She took this as him smiling. "An artist, no Lady. I have knowledge of art. A musician, yes."
"If you are so educated and involved in so many pursuits what are you doing in this wood, along my path?"
"I was lead here through my pursuits."
"To the middle of a dense wood that has countless paths?"
"Yes Lady"
"Do you not have obligations to your pursuits? You said you are a teacher and a solider. Those occupations require commitments, to your students, to your sovereign Lord."
"My students have instructors aplenty. And I serve no king, but God. My kingdom is my own."
"You are a prince?"
"A king, Lady."
The Queen stopped and looked in his direction, "You are not like any king I have ever met."
"I have never met a queen without a castle and land," he replied.
The Queen turned back to her path and continued on in silence. "I was young. I made a mistake," she confessed after sometime. She set her eyes firmly on the ground and continued walking.
"Excuse me Lady?" the male voice responded.
"I said I made a mistake."
"We all do Lady."
"Not everyone makes a mistake large enough to compromise their entire kingdom and as a result their own sanity."
"What happened?"
"I trusted some people I should not have. I put my faith in an unfaithful man. I gave up who I was for the peace of my kingdom. I was locked away for years, until I summoned the courage to fight back. As a result of my years of cowardice and my reluctance to fight I lost my kingdom. I put my life in danger and the lives of my people. I committed unforgivable sins. For that I must see the Powers That Be to slowly redeem myself."
"I will help you along the way," the male voice responded.
"Why? You are not going to ask what I have done?"
"No. You will tell me in time."
"Why are you so willing to help me?"
"I have told you already. I know you Lady."
The Queen stopped and looked in the direction of the glint. She still could not see him clearly. "How is that possible? I do not know you! I cannot even see you clearly!"
"In time dear Queen, in time! You must continue on your path. I must leave you briefly but will return."
"Wait! I do not even know your name!" she called after him but it was too late, he had already left. The Queen stood there confused and for some reason very alone.

Flustered the Queen returned to her journey. The rest of the way was going to be steep, rocky, and cold. The Queen continually talked to herself. Going through her lessons over and over. Each day the journey became more challenging. At night she was exhausted. She would sleep deep and dreamless. But each night she was softly kissed on the cheek, and protected from the trees and frogs. Her supplies were always refreshed and her fire always burning. The Queen never questioned these blessings, but she was always grateful for them. One particularly arduous day the glinting male voice returned. Pleasantly surprised the Queen smiled and welcomed the distraction. The glint refused to give any details about himself. He was still visually unclear to her. He was always witty and charming. He was distracting. She learned from him, shared with him. She grew to depend on his company. When he left she would feel empty and alone. She would always ask where he would go and he would return with the simple answer that he could not tell her.

On the days he would leave she found the days longer, the nights colder, and an ever growing reluctance to focus on the task ahead of her. On the last night of her journey the Queen had a dream. A man with dark hair and hazel eyes came to her, that was all she could see clearly. He wrapped her in his arms and kissed her. "I love you, Motek," he whispered "You will pass tomorrow and your kingdom will be restored." And with that he left. The Queen awoke peaceful, happy, and ready to face the inquisitors.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment