So usually I would write something like this out in a
journal before committing it to a public forum, but I felt like I just needed
to get this out there before I got too tired or gave up on the idea completely.
I started this blog in nursing school as a way to keep family and friends
collectively informed about what was going on in school so I didn’t have to
repeat myself a million times. Then it turned to a way for me to process my
divorce through short story writing and book reviews. I don’t think I will give
up on either one of those on here, but they might be few and far between. I
guess I would say I am restarting my blog as a way to deal with my postpartum
anxiety and depression.
For those not in the know I had my second child four months
ago. She’s beautiful. It was a struggle pregnancy in many ways and now I am
dealing with the hormonal aftermath in the best way I know how: therapy,
exercise, diet, and medication. Not that I am good at anyone of those things.
Although I do take my medication like I am supposed to and keep my therapy
appointments. The exercise and diet are where I do need the help. I have a
plan, I just need help.
Again another thing some may not know, in few days I will be
entering my last year in my 30’s. I am not struggling with that, my 30’s have
been great. I am ready to move on to the next decade. I certainly don’t feel my
age mentally, although I have horrible mommy brain. I don’t feel like I need to
complete anything before 40, except one thing: The Fairy Tale Challenge.
Let me explain. I started running half marathons in my 20’s.
By “running half marathons” I mean I forced myself in an effort to maintain a
size 6 for someone who didn’t love me for who I was, to do a cardiovascular
workout I hated. I also make it sound like I have ran dozens of half marathons,
when in fact in my 20’s I ran three. I agreed to my first one because a friend
talked me into it. My motivation through it was my brother’s first deployment.
If he could survive desert heat in full combat gear, I could freaking run 13.1
miles. And I did. I don’t know what kept me going for the other two, but I
stopped trying once I started nursing school.
After graduation I tried several times to pick up the habit
of running several times, even though I hate it. Honestly it is the only thing
that helps me lose weight, and more recently I have found it is a really big
factor in keeping the postpartum in check. Over three years ago I “bit the
bullet” and decided to sign up for an item on my bucket list: the Disney
Princess Half Marathon. The race takes place in Disneyworld, running through
Magic Kingdom and parts of Epcot. It always looked like so much fun. At the
time I signed up I was going through fertility treatments and I was, what I
consider for myself, way over weight.
I tried hard to train for that race. Every single step was a
struggle. I could never find a rhythm. I could never get past my wall. I could
not get out there regularly. It was just a frustrating struggle. I felt alone.
I felt like a failure. I physically hurt and I was mentally exhausted. I still
did it though. It was one of the most fun things I have ever done! The costumes,
the characters, fireworks, music, running through Sleeping Beauty’s castle! It
was an experience I will never forget. But it wasn’t enough for me. I was
disappointed in myself. So, I set a goal: before I turned 40, I would run the
Fairy Tale Challenge, even if I had to walk the whole way.
I am almost a year away from 40. I have had two children
since running the Princess Half. My body has changed, my brain has changed (as evidenced
by my inability to finish a sentence most days), and my motivations have
changed. It is taking a lot for me to say I am doing this for myself because I
rarely do things purely for myself (I’ll explain later). I want to feel a sense
of accomplishment. I want my children to be proud of me, even though they will
be three years old and 16 months old. I don’t want to be that person that sits
there at the end of my life and wishes I could go back and do something. I want
to do this because I know I can. It would be nice to have some help though.
No comments:
Post a Comment