Thursday, March 13, 2014

Book Review from the Office



Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen: Serena Valentino: I always enjoy hearing fairy tales from different character perspectives. I think the change in perspective allows for a whole new dynamic to a tale and opens new worlds. I enjoyed this story. I have suddenly developed a new liking for the Snow White story. I do wish it had been a little longer with more meat to the story.

A Game of Thrones: George RR Martin: The story got me so excited I couldn’t stop reading at times. When I had to go to sleep it was all I could do to keep myself from skipping forward because I couldn’t read fast enough. The book didn’t end the way I thought it would so now I am eager to read the next in the series.

A Wrinkle in Time: Madeleine L’Engle: I could swear I read this book when I was younger, but I have no recollection of the story. It was an interesting story. I learned a lot about basic physics and I liked the integration of science and faith. I did not like the character Meg; she just seemed to extreme and completely useless at the same time. The story ended abruptly and with no conclusive ending, which I guess is one way, although unrefined, to continue the series.

Buddha in the Attic: Julie Otsuka: Beautifully written! Very, very unique way of telling a story from a collective perspective. Julie gave wonderful insight in an understudied and forgotten minority during a very dangerous time. The book absolutely deserved its award.

Tao of Pooh: Benjamin Hoff: The author dropped  acid, than ate a pot brownie before he wrote this book. Some parts were very confusing and it was a bit of a stretch to use Winnie-the-Pooh to explain the philosophy of Taoism. While I understood what he was trying to explain, I didn’t really agree with all of it. I guess I am no Taoist. I also don’t like how he represented Winnie-the-Pooh and the other characters with aspects of human emotion. Overall, I was not impressed.

Fifty Shades of Gray and Fifty Shades Darker: EL James: I haven’t a bloody clue why these books were so popular. I felt dumber for reading them. I can’t bring myself to read the third book because I might melt my brain with stupidity and “oh my!” “Jeez!” “So fucking hot!” and “Fifty shades of fucked up”. Dumbest damn main character EVER. I have never wanted to burn a book, but these would make fantastic kindling.

Dragonsong: Anne McCaffrey: I loved it as usual. Anne McCaffrey has a knack for telling an engaging story. Pern is so wonderfully detailed. All of the characters have depth and personality. I truly enjoy reading the stories of Pern.

The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great: Eva Stachniek: The story is very interesting and easy to read. I do not know much about that period in Russian history so it did spark some investigations, which is a good thing. There is suppose to be another book in the series coming out, if I get the chance I may read  it.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest:Steig Larsson: Amazing. Excellent writing, excellent characters. I am not one for crime novels but I really had a hard time putting these books down. It made me nervous. I couldn’t stop reading and I had difficulty predicting the end. Too bad Larsson will never be able to finish his series.

The Tail of Emily Windsnap (series): Liz Kessler: Really cute series for children. Not horribly well written, but an easy fun read that you don’t have to think about. Enjoyable.

Clash of Kings: George RR Martin: Martin does have a way of dragging a story. I had to read this book in little doses because it is so detailed and so frustrating. I must finish the series.

Practical Magic: Alice Hoffman: I didn’t like it! Not that it was poorly written; I just didn’t like the story. I liked movie so much better, which is strange, because I rarely like the movie more.

Geisha, A Life: Mineko Iwasaki: Fantastic book. I would have loved to see her in action and in all of her beautiful kimono. I am curious as to what geisha culture is like now. I wish I had someone to discuss this book with. It is so difficult to find accurate information on geisha life or the lives of Japanese women in general.

Ender’s Game: Orson Scott Card: I thought it was an intriguing book with interesting ideas. It’s not something beyond humanity to do. Like all science fiction it scared the crap out of me. I do wish I had someone to talk about. The movie didn’t fully represent the concepts of the book, it made it appear one-sided. A lot of the concepts covered by Card are pertinent in modern politics, in modern warfare, and modern moral discussions.

The Power of One: Bryce Courtnay: It was a very good read. Courtnay has a very profound  insights about life. I learned about an aspect of the world and a time period I knew very little about. I always love books that add to my knowledge. This would not have been a book I would have naturally picked up. I am glad it was recommended to me.

Peony in Love: Lisa See: This book vaguely reminds me of Amy Tan’s Saving Fish from Drowning. It is told from the perspective of a ghost, but Peony is able to interfere with the lives she is watching. I enjoyed the perspective, the poetry, and the story took turns I wasn’t expecting. I like See’s writing style and her characters.

The Fault in Our Stars: John Green: This book has brief moments of brilliance and it did make me cry, however, it was still a terrible book. It was primarily poorly written. The characters made the attempt to have depth, but were shallow. There was nothing in the book to lift the spirit, although I am sure that was the intent of the author. The story itself was insignificant, at least it was to me, but I work in the medical field so it seemed routine. I am not partial to stories I know are doomed from the beginning. It did not blow my socks off as was promised. Sorry Dean and Becca.

No comments:

Post a Comment