Thursday, March 1, 2012

Book Review from Candle Pose

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb: This book made me want to kill myself. It was ridiculously depressing. Who's life is honestly that pathetic and depressing? I watch Intervention and Hoarders and none of their stories are seriously that pathetic. I seriously wanted to slap Delores and tell her to get over it and get on with her bloody life. She was ridiculous! I have no freaking clue why people loved this bloody book. I would never recommend it. It was poorly written and annoying, None of the characters had depth or meaning. Massive thumbs down.

Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me by the People in Chelsea Handler's Life: I would never be Chelsea Handler's friend or work for her. While she pays for everything for her friends and family and they say she's wonderful, I wonder if they aren't blinded by her money. Honestly while reading her books are a hilarious brain break, she's a horrible person. And the people who work for her are fools. Seriously who continues to work for or remains friends with someone who purposely urinates on you?

Shockaholic by Carrie Fisher: First of all I thought it was ridiculous she dedicated her book to Barack Obama. She goes on to sing his praises and the praises of Sen Chris Dodd and the late drunk and murderer Sen Ted Kennedy. I honestly wanted to tell her get a grip. These men aren't kings, not even leaders, they are a bunch of liars, and darn good ones. Her writing was random and all over the place. She would go on strange tangents to the point where you forgot what the original story was. I am going to blame her ECT. She gives a shining tribute to Micheal Jackson, who I still think was a weirdo. And she gives a good tribute to her father Eddie Fisher. In my personal opinion Ms Fisher should have focused her book on either a tribute to her father or the crazy ups and downs of her life. The title made absolutely no sense. My advice to Ms Fisher: focus! Find one subject and elaborate in your humorous and endearing way. Your next book should be a devoted biography of your mother, Debbie Reynolds.

Mere Christianity by CS Lewis: This book may be small but it took me a long time to read. There were parts I had to read several times before I fully understood the point he was getting at. Some of the things he was saying I agreed with and there were a few I did not. CS Lewis does make an excellent, logical case for Christianity. This is a book I would recommend for a few months study in a group with people who have mixed feelings about religion or have differing views of Christianity. But if you want to know one of the reasons why I believe, read this book.

On Call In Hell by CDR Richard Jadick: While very scattered and round-about CDR Jadick tells a compelling story. I wish he had started his story in more linear fashion and explained more about the things they did to save lives in the first battle of Fallujah. It also would have been interesting to hear some of the stories of the field medics. If you can't handle books like Black Hawk Down, don't read this book.  But if you like military battle stories, this one is worth the read.

Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins: I had to read this series because everyone at work was singing its praises. For once I was actually impressed with a teen fiction novel series. I had a hard time putting the series down. To be honest I can see our society going that direction if things got really desperate. I was not thrilled with the ending of the novels. While you are not left completely disappointed, you are left uncomfortable with the ending. Ms Collins leaves no room for sequels. I can honestly say her writing is better than Stephanie Meyer's. Totally original idea and characters...although I later learned not so much...I have more reading to do! Ms Collins does have the capacity to elaborate...eventually.

Blankets by Craig Thompson: This is the first and probably the last graphic novel I will read (unless my brother in law twists my arm enough to get me to read Watchmen). Graphic novels are like picture books for adults. The writer seems like he is either unable to write a complete story or incapable of doing so, so they have to draw pictures.  Sometimes the pictures were overwhelming. The story did make me cry because there were some crazy parallels in the story to my life. I was not impressed with the way it ended since it ended abruptly and inconclusively. I thank my brother in law for the suggestion, but I don't think I will read one again.

Water Margin by Shi Nai'an: It actually took me a few years to read this book. I would get into it, then I would get bored. Get into it, then get bored. The story was one long continuous tale and new characters were added every chapter. Maybe three women in the whole book were painted in a virtuous light. The Chinese were gruesome people. Selling human meat?! There was a lot of symbolism in the book I did not understand, along with old sayings that do not make sense in Western culture. I feel this book would be something to be studied in an upper division literature course. A person has to be dedicated to reading this book and truly understanding it. I don't think I got as much out of it as I could have or I was suppose to.

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp: The book made me cry and inspired me to take the challenge with my own spin. I count the good and the ugly separately. My only comments were: She forgets that we are human and to continually blame yourself for bad thoughts only creates depression and low self-esteem. She also has to figure out what her triggers are for frustration and find positive way to combat those feelings when she has them. Also keep in mind spiritual growth is something done over time. Because a child expresses anger you should not consider yourself a failure. It's a matter of emotional and psychological maturity. Children do not have the mental capacity to control emotions until much later in life. It is not a failing with the parent, yet. It's a matter of psychological growth. Piaget and Erickson's stages! It's not until later in life where nature/ nurture factor comes into play, although it does effect children in major and minor ways, but to think you are a failure because your children squabble like normal children is no way to think. I recommend this book for those who need a new perspective on life...like me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment