Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 82 thru 89: CONT...

Well just to let you all know...I passed the math quiz. So, now I am all caught up and in a good place. I have two TLC assignments to do and a test next week and venipuncture pass off next week..but now I can take a sigh of relief and I would have a celebratory glass of wine...however I am still sick, so I am waiting until my birthday party on Saturday. Which as of right now is only me.

Day 86: This has got to be the best day of nursing school so far. My very first ER rotation!!!!!!!!!!! I HAD SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!! The majority of the patients we had in the peds ER were upper respiratory infections and little falls. Most of the kiddos went home because usually upper respiratory infections are viral, so antibiotics don't work. A few kiddos were so congested they couldn't breathe, poor babies were admitted to the hospital. It was a hoppin' day in the peds unit. So we had to hold a few patients. But the best pt of the day was the teenage boy who totalled his mother's brand new BMW and didn't remember it. He didn't remember it because he was on drugs. We asked him to pee in a cup when he got there, but he couldn't, so the ER nurse (really cool guy), told him that if he didn't go in 20 minutes we would have to catheterize him! Well guess what?!?!?! He didn't pee, so I cathed him!!!!!! MY FIRST CATH EVER!!! It went perfectly!!! The step dad thought it was hilarious that his son got the first cath from a nursing student. Then I got to set up a syringe pump, with the same medication that tripped me up in lab. The nurse watched me the whole time, checked my calculations and talked me through the process. I did a fantastic job. By the end of the day, even though I knew i was sick...I didn't want to leave. I loved it. LOVED IT. ER is where I should be. I tried to beg my clinical instructor to let me stay there for the rest of the semester I am not sure she liked that idea all that much.

Day 87: "Online" class. So nothing but work. Although an interesting question was proposed: "Today women who perfer not to experience labor can elect to have a c-section. What are your thoughts on this? Do you believe it is a safe practice? Any concerns about the outcomes for mother or baby?"

My Response: "Elective c-sections are not based on the safety of the child or the mother. They are primarly cosmetic. I think women have been having children vaginally for thousands of years and have survived splendidly. If you are able to have your child naturally that is the best way to do it. We were designed this particular way for a reason. Why would you want to undergo surgery if you didn't have to? My great grandmother was born on a farm, premature. She slept in a shoe box by the stove for the first few months of her life. The woman is as health as a horse. Never had any serious medical problems and has outlived all of her siblings at the age of 94. She is not an anomaly or a rare occurance. I feel we are so focused on lawsuits and science, that we forget nature has been doing this for a lot longer than we have been studying it. Now this isn't say I am against c-sections. If it is necessary, its necessary. But I think nature deserves a chance first."

Day 88: IN YOUR FACE PROF MOM!!! I passed off on syringe pumps! Don't ever question my skills again. We also learned how to do venipuncture. HEHEHE. I couldn't bring myself to pass off on that day. My confidence in my skills have been rattled. This is an important skill and I want to make sure I do it right the first time. Texas thought I should just go ahead and do it. He said I was like Maverick when Goose died. Viper says "Keep him flying" so he can get his confidence back. Texas says that is what I need to do. In a way he is right. Although I do not like being compaired to a crazy dude like T Cruise. Anyways, I will just give myself some time on this one and pass off next week.

Day 89: Lecture, study group, lecture. And done.

Well next week is my birthday. Thus far my plan is to go bowling on Saturday night, and take myself out to lunch at Olives on my actual birthday. Sad I know, but I have class during the week and everyone is busy right before spring break. In a week and half I will be on my way home. I need a break from Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment